There are many ways to create new content. Do you want to create something that is:
Paper / Sheet based, Interactive, Audio Based, Video Based
Paper / Sheet Based
The best format for paper or worksheet based resources is a PDF (Portable Document File). You can find out about creating an accessible PDFs at: http://web.archive.org/web/20120923033840/http://www.jisctechdis.ac.uk/AccessibilityEssentials/2003/AE4/index.html
You can easily save documents created in most mainstream word processors as PDFs, including those used in GoogleDocs and Office 365 for collaborativecreation.
Pros & Cons
Pro: Works on every device and is easy to make
Con: Not easy to make it interactive or engaging
Creating an interactive object is the hardest of all OER creation tasks. There are various coding languages that will help you produce more complex simulations, but they are not easy for the amateur to explore.
- You can experiment and learn about simple coding objects at: https://scratch.mit.edu/
- The best tools to use for creating interactive e-learning objects are specific tools. COurseLab have a free authoring tool at: http://www.courselab.com/view_doc.html?mode=home
- There’s a course on how to make use of CourseLab effectively at: http://www.learningandwork.org.uk/community-learning/resources/curriculumdevelopment
- You can design an OER using any tool you choose. Below are some factsheets to download around creating resources.
- You can find out more about using accessible resources at:http://www.learningapps.co.uk/moodle/xertetoolkits/play.php?template_id=1148
Pros & Cons
Pro: Done well, an interactive object has limitless possibilities. It can stimulate, question or present in a variety of ways.
Pro: Very engaging and creative
Con: Complex to make, especially if making an app or simulation. Not always easy to host.
Con: Software is often very expensive and free software limited in possibility
Audio & Video
The most popular free tools for Audio and Video are
- MovieMaker resource (PC) / iMovie (Mac)
There’s more on how to use these tools at: http://www.learningapps.co.uk/moodle/xertetoolkits/play.php?template_id=1148
Pros & Cons
Pros: Very engaging, many possibilities
Pro: Audio especially is easy to consume while driving or doing other tasks.
Con: Not all video or audio work on all devices. Complex to make it effectively. Hard to host openly (normally on YouTube or SoundCloud)
Con: Badly made audio / video is a turn-off and it can take a lot of disk space to host or download
Changing & Repurposing
Repurposing content can be as easy or as complex as you would like and it depends on the media.
- If it is a text or MS Word document you can simply repurpose it and save it, making sure you attribute the changes in line with the license conditions.
- If it is a PDF you can use the website www.smallpdf.com to break it down by pages, re-align or add new ones.